Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Jesus Calms the Storm

Matthew 8:23-27
23 Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24 Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”
26 He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
27 The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”
I’m sitting here waiting for my friend to meet me.  It’s a like a little piece of heaven is here on earth today. The sky is a beautiful shade of blue with fluffy white clouds playing in the air.   A breeze is blowing-teasing my hair and the trees.  I lean back and look up.  A tall pine tree is swaying and bending almost in time to the beautiful music I hear playing.  I feel the breezes in my life-tossing me about-teasing and testing my faith.  Will this breeze turn into a storm?  There was such a storm that tossed me about, bent me to the ground and left pieces of me lying around. I thought I had split in half like some of the trees do sometimes, but God was not finished with me.  He had not left me alone.  I found out he had barely begun on me. 
By his grace, he bent me to the ground and brought me back up again.  I see the old pieces of me lying around on the ground.  The pieces of worry, fear and mistrust were left behind. Like bark off a tree the control I wanted to have blew off me.  Jesus touched my soul and gave me life.  Just as the pine popped back upright, he brought me back upright.  My soul healed, the Lord has claimed my life.  He will never leave in the storm.  I may sway and bend, but I will not break.  He is my strength and my life is his.   He has rescued me and poured his love over me.  His sacrifice allows me to have the breezes and the storms in my life.  His sacrifice has shown me how to trust him and leave the fear and worry to him.  His hand is always there, reaching down to pull me, to pull all of us, up from the ground and up from our storm.  Will you break or will you reach up for the hand of Jesus?
Romans 15:13
            May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Laura Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment