Thursday, April 19, 2012

Eye's Up!

Hebrews 10:24-25 (NIV)
24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

My girls and I try to do a nightly devo, just a small 5 minute reading and scripture that allows us to share the word together. We forget more than we should, and I’m often reminded how important it is to them when their opening prayer each time we DO it includes, “Dear Lord, please keep us doing this devotional each night…”

Last night’s devo was about when you are down and out and life just isn’t want you want it to be. Darkness is surrounding you or your depressed or your angry and just can’t seem to get out of the muck. The verse we read was the one above and I kept thinking – how is this going to tie together? I was grumbling in my head because I was exhausted and figured I’d have to tie it together for the writer, but God whispered hush and I did.

The theme of the devo was to encourage someone else – to forget about your situation and circumstances and instead to love and do for another. To shift your focus from your problems to someone else’s and reach out even though you don’t think you can. I read the other day that 90% of happy people all have 1 thing in common – they give to others.

Lift your eyes today and give someone else the encouragement that you need in your own life, and watch what a change in perspective will do to your ability to persevere and not give up.

“Set you mind on things above, not on earthly things.” Col 3:12

No comments:

Post a Comment